Installing StreetTalk VIP on Your PAC Mate Omni
Skip past contents.
- Authorizing StreetTalk VIP
Your GPS Receiver and PAC Mate Omni
VIP GPS Receiver Configuration
Before You Begin
Before you install StreetTalk VIP, make certain that you have the following:
- GPS Bluetooth receiver and Bonding code, which may be 0000 or 1234.
- Your map license key, which you obtained by creating an account on the Sendero Web site using www.pmactivate.com.
Installing StreetTalk VIP
- Establish a Standard or Guest ActiveSync connection between the PAC Mate Omni and the computer. If you are using Windows Vista, you will establish the partnership using Windows Mobile Device Center.
- Insert the StreetTalk VIP CD into the CD-ROM drive on your computer. After a few seconds, the StreetTalk VIP Program and Documentation CD Web page appears.
- Press TAB to move to the StreetTalk VIP installation program link and press ENTER to begin the installation.
If the CD does not automatically launch, open Windows Explorer, locate the file StreetTalkCESetup_PMO.exe on the CD, and press ENTER
to begin the installation process.
- The StreetTalk VIP installation dialog box appears. Select the Next button.
- The License Agreement dialog box appears. Select the "I accept the terms in the license agreement" radio button, and choose the Finish button to begin installation. Once the software is downloaded to the PAC Mate Omni, select OK to close the installation dialog box on the PC.
- If a storage card is inserted, the PAC Mate Omni will ask if you want to install StreetTalk VIP directly onto the device (selected by default), or the storage card. Press F1 (F1+F2) to continue with the installation directly onto the PAC Mate Omni. Otherwise, the software is automatically installed to the appropriate location. Once the installation is complete, press ENTER when prompted to warm reset the PAC Mate Omni.
StreetTalk VIP is now installed. Refer to the next section for instructions on entering your map license code so you can begin using it.
Authorizing StreetTalk VIP
- Insert your CompactFlash card, which has at least one map installed.
- On your PAC Mate Omni, start the StreetTalk VIP application. It is available from
the Programs submenu of the Start menu. You will hear the
unique StreetTalk VIP tones as the application loads.
- After StreetTalk VIP loads, you will be presented with a user agreement that you must accept in order to continue using the program. By default, this agreement will be displayed each time you launch StreetTalk VIP. To stop this dialog box from coming up each time you want to use StreetTalk VIP, press TAB to move to the Don't show this dialog again check box and press the SPACEBAR to check it. Then, select the I agree button to accept the agreement and continue.
- The first time you start StreetTalk VIP, a prompt asks you to enter your map license code. Be careful to enter it exactly as you received it, paying
special attention to the use of upper and lower case letters. If you have
misplaced this code, login to your account on the Sendero Web site to retrieve it.
- StreetTalk VIP opens and reads your default map location. You may now use StreetTalk VIP
in Planner mode. However, to use it with a GPS receiver, continue with the
following installation procedures.
Bonding Your GPS Receiver and PAC Mate Omni
In order for StreetTalk VIP to communicate with your GPS receiver, you must establish a Bluetooth Partnership with the receiver and configure an outgoing COM port.
Before you continue, make certain that you have the bonding
code for your GPS receiver. Commonly used bonding codes are 0000 and
1234. Your code should also appear in your receiver documentation.
To create a Bluetooth partnership with your receiver and configure an outgoing COM port, do the following:
- Turn on your GPS receiver and insert your Bluetooth card if you have not already done so. The receiver does not need to be capable of
receiving satellite signals at this point, so you can perform this process
- From the Today screen, navigate to the Bluetooth status indicator and press ENTER. When the Wireless Manager opens, press F2 (F4+F5) and choose Bluetooth Settings to open the Bluetooth settings multipage dialog box.
- From the Devices tab, press ENTER on Add new device. Your PAC Mate Omni searches for other devices with Bluetooth capabilities and displays them in a list view.
- Use the arrow keys to select your GPS receiver then press F2 (F4+F5) to go to the next screen.
- In the Passcode edit field, enter the passcode required to bond with the receiver then press F2 (F4+F5) to go to the next screen.
Note: Your Bluetooth pass key is 0000
if you are using the bundled GPS receiver. If this does not work, try using
1234. If this code does not work, refer to the user documentation
that came with your GPS receiver. Depending on the model of receiver you have,
this may be displayed, but if it is not, it should be available in the documentation
for the device.
- When the Partnership Settings dialog box opens, press TAB to move to the list of available services and use the SPACEBAR to select Serial Port.
- Press F2 (F4+F5) to finish creating the partnership and return to the list of devices.
- Press CTRL+TAB to move to the COM ports tab.
- Press ENTER on New Outgoing Port.
- Select your GPS receiver from the list and press F2 (F4+F5).
- Choose an available COM port other than COM 0 from the list, then Press F2 (F4+F5) to add the COM port.
- Press ESC (F1) to close the Bluetooth settings multi-page dialog box. Press F1 (F1+F2) to close the Wireless Manager.
StreetTalk VIP GPS Receiver Configuration
Before you can begin using StreetTalk VIP, you must configure its
connection to your GPS receiver. This is a one-time process. Your
GPS receiver must be activated, but it is not necessary to be
receiving satellite signals, so you can perform this configuration
To configure the connection between StreetTalk VIP and your receiver, do the following:
- Launch StreetTalk VIP if it is not already running.
- Press ALT+CTRL+G (F1+F2+F4+F5+F7+F8) to open the GPS Settings dialog box. A detailed audio prompt
appears that tells you the COM port assigned to your GPS
receiver and explains how to complete the configuration.
- Use the arrow keys to select the COM port assigned to
- Press TAB to move to the Set GPS button and press
This completes the installation and configuration of StreetTalk VIP.
Note: If the PAC Mate Omni is powered off while StreetTalk VIP is running, it will automatically restart the next time the PAC Mate Omni is turned on. If a route
is currently active and you need to turn off the PAC Mate Omni, press CTRL+S (F2+F3+F4+F8) to first save the route and then press CTRL+Q (DOT 8 CHORD, Z) to close StreetTalk VIP before turning off the PAC Mate Omni.